An Ohio woman has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against, on behalf of her husband, who allegedly died from an allergic reaction to a product made by the West Virginia Company.
The lawsuit was filed on May 9, in Kanawha Circuit Court against Mylan Pharmaceuticals and Mylan Inc.
According to court documents, her husband was prescribed Phenytoin, a drug that is used to help control seizures. Less than a month after starting the initial dosage, he started to have skin disruptions on his body and his eyelid peeled off.
He was taken to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton where he was diagnosed with toxic epidermal necrolysis.
On May 27, 2006, he died as a result of his ingestion of the drug. The suit seeks punitive and compensatory damages to cover her husband’s injuries and pain and suffering, as well as damages to his estate.
According to the suit, Mylan has “reaped huge profits while concealing from the public knowledge of the potential hazard associated with the ingestion” of Phenytoin.
Amy Clanton claims her husband would not have taken Phenytoin if he had known of the risks and dangers associated with the drug.